Thursday, September 30, 2010

Yabba Dabba Doo!


Yabba.. Dabbba.. Doo...!


  I just went to google something and got majorly sidetracked when I saw this at the top of the search page. Come on, you knew I had to take a closer look. Well….whadya know? Turns out the Flintstones debuted fifty years ago today. Somehow, I almost missed this one? Did you?
Since as far back as I can remember the Flintstones have been one of my all time favorite cartoons.
They hark en back to a simpler time. I loved when we would go to breakfast at Denny’s with my grandparents and there to greet me was that fun paper kids menu with the modern stone- age family. (Boy, it would be nice If Denny’s would bring ‘em back) As an 80s/90s kid who remembers delighting in watching the old Fruity Pebbles commercials and Flintstones Cartoons playing on my Grandparents large 13” TV with the rabbit ears up.. Back then I used to think how cool it was that my grandfather had the same name as Barney Rubble! His name is actually Bernie not Barney but when your five it’s all the same hahaha . Even today, I still check for The Jetsons meet the Flintstones in every pile of VHS tapes I run across.Technically, I believe it’s mom and dad who I have to thank introducing me to the town of Bedrock. Personally, I feel the Flintstones is one of those hand me down classic cartoon characters. They are intergenerational. They are able to be enjoyed on two levels. The first and probably the most obvious is the kid level. The second is the adult level. As, there are various situations and jokes that an adult can pick up on where most likely a child won’t.  So, many great cartoons worked on these levels back in the day and unfortunately, they aren’t found too much in modern children's television anymore. These were characters/shows that had charm! They just put a smile on my face and clearly my mom’s as well (she has the awesomest juice glasses to prove it.) I always found the prehistoric invention critters intriguing.   Pebbles is probably my favorite (I have the t-shirt and pencil to prove it.) Most my favorite episodes where after she was born. Dino is a very close second. I remeber sitting at our kitchen table waiting to see which cheweable bedrock buddy mom would give me out of the flinstones vitamin jar. I tend to get excited when I run across  the older versions of hanna barbera illustrations.  Ahh, retro-Americana nostalgia at it’s best! Since I now and will at least for the rest of the day have the theme song playing in my head. Well, that and the image of Fred and Barney ridding that stone piano down the street singing the “Happy Anniversary” song. So,  I’ll  finish this up with a great big
"Yabba.. Dabba.. Dooo...!"


       

        Wishes from Wonderland
                        ~ Alice
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alice? (Im assuming thats your name;-))

    Yes, you can certainly use a picture and add a link to your blog for the Johnny Appleseed costume...and I must agree handmade costumes are the best!

    ReplyDelete